Sunday, September 25, 2016

Book Review: Against the Tide by Elizabeth Camden


Book Summary:
     After a childhood rampant with uncertainty, Lydia Pallas has carved out a perfect life for herself.  She spends her days within sight of the bustling Boston Harbor, where her skill with languages has landed her an enviable position as a translator for the U.S. Navy.
     Lydia's talents bring her to the attention of Alexander Bainbridge, a mysterious man in need of a translator.  Driven by a campaign to end the opium trade, Bane is cooly analytical and relentless in his quest.  He cannot afford to fall for Lydia and must fight the bittersweet love growing between them.
     When Bane's enemies gain the upper hand, he is forced to turn to Lydia for help.  Determined to prove her worth, Lydia soon discovers that carrying out Bane's mission will test her wits and courage to the very limits.

What I loved:
     I'm just going to say it.  I never thought that this early in my life I would ever say that a book was my absolute favorite, but Against the Tide is my absolute favorite book of all time!  Before reading this book, I didn't know much about the opium trades or the dark black markets circling them.  It was interesting to learn about the ways people tried to stop the "drug lords".  But that wasn't my favorite part.  My favorite part was "Lane"!  I shipped them so hard when they had their very first conversation, and those feelings only got stronger as the story progressed.  I was rooting for them for all 357 pages of the book.  Elizabeth Camden did a great job of describing two very broken people and how their determination to end the opium trade, both of them with their own reasons, ultimately brought them together.  *Spoiler alert* Y'all, I almost CRIED when Bane left her for the first time.  Luckily everything worked out okay. Or else I don't know what I would have done


What I didn't like:
     The only thing I really didn't like about this book was that it was too short.  Yes, 357 pages was not nearly enough for this story.  Also, I didn't like how Lydia prayed to the moon in the beginning of the book.  That was a little bit weird.


Conclusion and Rating:
    Against the Tide is a book that I will definitely recommend and reread (and reread and reread and reread)!  I really hope the author decides to do a sequel to this book! That would be amazing!  As far as ratings, I would say 5 stars for any girl who knows what opium is and what it can do to a person.  These topics are described in detail throughout the book.  The only girls I wouldn't recommend this book to would be younger girls who don't know what opium is, or who are too young to read about drugs and their affects on people.

See y'all soon with another review!
xoxo,
Lexi

No comments:

Post a Comment